Saturday, August 14, 2010

Goals and Principles

I've been lagging a bit on this project, and I think it's partly due to a lack of clear objectives. "Make a new-style core set" is a good starting point, but it leaves a lot to be determined. After only two new core sets, we're still learning what exactly that means. Furthermore, M99 is being designed in the abstract, without any Standard environment to fit into or M98 to differentiate it from.

Let's start with what I doubt want M99 to be. I don't want it to be a list of my favorite cards. I don't want it to be a half-assed way to get out of designing new cards. I don't want to just fill in the blanks, taking M11 and replacing half the cards with similar new ones.

1) I want it to be a complete, cohesive set. The design process doesn't end when I've got 229 cards filled out - that's when I start making cuts and filling holes.

2) I want the set to have some iconic, memorable selling points. The new planeswalker cycle is a good start, but some exciting reprints and splashy new cards will help.

3) I want the set to have its own feel that is distinct from M10, M11, and any hypothetical sets M12-M98. This will probably involve designing a new "returning" mechanic, as there aren't any others that I feel fit the core as well as scry.

With more specific goals in mind, hopefully I will be able to make more progress on the set.

No comments:

Post a Comment