Sunday, July 18, 2010

Introducing Magic 2099

I've designed quite a few Magic cards over the years, doing everything from scrawling them on napkins to submitting them to online competitions. I mostly lost interest for a while, frustrated by the quality of forum discussion and lack of local interest in playing around with fan-made cards. I never got around to my eventual goal of designing a complete set, and have been inspired to give it another shot.

I was always discouraged by the prospect of trying to flavor a block and its mechanics, so instead I am choosing do design a core set, using a combination of fan-designed cards and "reprints" of existing cards. This experiment is as much about trying to design an environment as it is about creating individual cards.

I chose the name Magic 2099 (M99 for short) because it communicates that I am attempting to create a new core set in the contemporary style, but shouldn't cause any copyright issues until I'm over a century old. The set is not intended to be a realistic prediction of what Magic will be like in 2098.

I will keep this blog updated with my progress and thought processes as I design the set. Comments and criticism are welcome, but please refrain from suggesting new card designs as I am trying to challenge myself to complete this on my own.

1 comment:

  1. I'll be happy to help you out in whatever context you need with this. The more eyes that look upon something like this the better. E-mail: My name AT gmail.com

    - Robby

    ReplyDelete